Are you interested in developing your skills or trying something new? Have you thought about taking on a volunteer position with our Thames Valley Trail Association Board of Directors?
By Judy Kwasnica
My plan as Past President during 2017 is to help fill vacant Board of Director positions through succession planning and finding new committee volunteers so that our organisation can continue to run smoothly. We're 80% of the way there now, but we do have some immediate portfolios open that we are working through with succession planning. At the same time, we need new volunteers to come forward to tell us if they are interested in joining as a board member, helping in another capacity, or just learning more.
Much of our work can be done by email correspondence now. We have defined roles and responsibilities for each director portfolio and other positions. Three people currently chair the ten monthly board meetings held on Monday nights. All members are invited to observe at these meetings if you would like to come out to get a sense of who we are and what we do.
We have also identified some jobs and duties available below to if you aren’t ready to commit to becoming a Board member just yet. This will not only assist the TVTA Board to continue to develop and meet the needs of the association but give you a chance to get involved with no set commitment other than the particular task at hand.
Board positions also come with training and transitional information sharing from the
previous person who held the position. What a great opportunity for people to learn something new, share expertise or take on a leadership role!
It's important for TVTA to plan and prepare for succession planning so that the work of our volunteer board members, liaison, hike leader or other, continues to help our organisation to thrive.
What are your interests?
Let us know if you are interested in any of the following volunteer Board positions or jobs with TVTA.
Current open Board positions:
- Vice President
- Trail Development Director
- Trail Captains and Trail Maintenance Workers
Possible TVTA Volunteer Jobs - 2017
- Assist with our upcoming June picnic – ticket sales, supplies, setting up, BBQ lunch
- Assist with Public Relations – we always need help with our Twitter, email newsletters, blogging and more!
- Help to assist with our Trails Open event in April
- Help us apply for awards
- Volunteers are needed to help with our AGM to be held on Thursday, November 7 at the Riverside United Church.
- Join our Constitution Committee
- Represent TVTA at the London Environmental Committee meetings (4 times per year plus attend a free workshop)
- Trekker Newsletter – seek advertisers, proofread, and help us drop off newsletters to Canada Post
- Pick up and help distribute mail from Grosvenor Lodge (once per week)
Contact Judy Kwasnica (firstname.lastname@example.org) or our webpage www.tvta.ca to learn how you can get involved.
About Judy Kwasnica, past president, TVTA
Judy has served on the TVTA Board for five years and has been a member since 2008 when she first began hiking with the group and then helping to lead Tuesday Rambler Hikes. She is an active and avid hiker. Her favourite TVTA trail hike is Komoka Park.
Judy has also helped to update and distribute TVTA Guidebooks and became a Certified Hike Leader in 2011.
She is a retired elementary school teacher (since June 2008) and enjoys the outdoors and nature.
She encourages everyone to come out to the TVTA AGM meeting to hear about the club's accomplishments and contact her if you are interested in getting involved by emailing email@example.com.